Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    tinyone / May 21 2020 9.23

I feel like i'd benefit from possibly going to therapy, but i don't know who to talk to about getting a referral or if it'd be expensive. So my questions are:

1) Who do i talk to to possibly get a referral? (GP or someone else?)

2) Would I have to pay, and if so how much?

3) Would my parents have to know? (I'm 15)

Thank you for any help

2. Childline Avatar
    tinyone / May 21 2020 12.21

also, if i do need to talk to my parents about it. how could i do that?

i wouldnt want to disclose the reasons why i want to try, ive tried talking to them about issues before and they brush them off, so i feel like they wouldnt take it seriously. any advice on this too?

3. Childline Avatar

I feel like i'd benefit from possibly going to therapy, but i don't know who to talk to about getting a referral or if it'd be expensive. So my questions are:

Thank you for any help

ellisjem / May 23 2020 16.37

Hi there, firstly i want to say its great youre reaching out to have some therapy.

1) the easiest way of getting a referral is via your gp. You can go to your GP on your own if you want and most likely theyll refer you to something called CAMHS, the child and adolescent mental health service, who offer loads of different group and individual therapies or even medication should it be required. The GP might instead tell you which type of therapy they think youd benefit most from (counselling, CBT etc) and let you find someone privately. Furthermore some schools offer counselling (mine does at least) so talking to someone like your school nurse can help you get on track

2) CAMHS is free, and so would counselling at school, however if you want to pay there are loads of options available at different price ranges and the process may go faster

3) everything you say remains confidential UNLESS youre presenting a risk to yourself or others, at which point your parents would have to get involved

Any questions feel free to ask!

4. Childline Avatar
    NaijaBaby28 / Jul 14 2020 22.26

Hey!

Same for me i’d like to get some therapy too.

1. You can be referred through school and your GP and on the CAMHS page through the NHS website I believe you can self-refer. 2. CAMHS is free as it is provided by the NHS but I’m sure there are other therapy organisations that you could go to where you would have to pay.

3. Everything you say should be confidential unless you are at risk of harming yourself or others.

Hope this helped. Stay safe.

5. Bookworm

Thank you for any help

J-please / Nov 15 2020 19.46

Hi.

I can relate to you. I feel like I need to talk to someone too and am unsure about opening up to my parents but I don't want to do anything behind their backs.

Let's get through this.

I believe in us. 😊

6. Childline Avatar
    ellisjem / May 23 2020 16.37

Hi there, firstly i want to say its great youre reaching out to have some therapy.

1) the easiest way of getting a referral is via your gp. You can go to your GP on your own if you want and most likely theyll refer you to something called CAMHS, the child and adolescent mental health service, who offer loads of different group and individual therapies or even medication should it be required. The GP might instead tell you which type of therapy they think youd benefit most from (counselling, CBT etc) and let you find someone privately. Furthermore some schools offer counselling (mine does at least) so talking to someone like your school nurse can help you get on track

2) CAMHS is free, and so would counselling at school, however if you want to pay there are loads of options available at different price ranges and the process may go faster

3) everything you say remains confidential UNLESS youre presenting a risk to yourself or others, at which point your parents would have to get involved

Any questions feel free to ask!

Dancingqueen2004 / Dec 13 2020 1.50

if your under 18 and you go to the gp about metal health will they automatically refer you to cahms or can they like prescribe medication ect themselves without cahms

7. Childline Avatar
    Dancingqueen2004 / Dec 13 2020 1.50

if your under 18 and you go to the gp about metal health will they automatically refer you to cahms or can they like prescribe medication ect themselves without cahms

Temporary27326941 / Dec 14 2020 11.44

Well since CAMHS are the experts, you'll most likely be referred to them if your GP thinks you'd benefit from treatment for your mental health. You can ask not to be referred to CAMHS, but I think that if your GP thinks that they can provide you with the support you need then that's great, isn't it? I'm sure you have your reasons though as to why you don't want to be referred to CAMHS - have a chat with your GP about it and see what they think.

Medication is often a last resort and is usually prescribed alongside psychological therapies and after therapy on its own doesn't seem to be helping much. I also think it's important to note that most meds won't just make problems disappear. They can take months to start to help (depending on the medication) and are usually most effective alongside therapy.

To answer your question though, yes - GPs can prescribe medication and CAMHS don't have to be involved if you don't want them to (99% of the time anyway). I think your GP will encourage you to see CAMHS though if they think they can help before they think about prescribing any medication.

-S (16)

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything