self harming drifting towards alcohol and smoking

Reading this content might be upsetting and trigger difficult feelings and emotions if you have experienced these events or feelings in the past

Go to Alcohol, Smoking and Drugs

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    smile9265 / Mar 26 2020 15.49

I've been cutting for a while but recently that isn't becoming enough, I've starting looking for other options. i have close friend how smokes and i regularly wait with her whilst she does so. often they offer me one so far i said no but every night when laying in bed or when things aren't going well that's all i want. most nights I've started drinking. i'm not really sure how to avoid all of it. it seems to be a constant fight with myself with no escape. i feel like if i start smoking then ill get addicted, and the nights i don't drink i'm become really angry.

I was starting to become better for long period of time but the whole isolation thing making me so much worse!

any ideas how to avoid fallen into that trap?

2. Childline Avatar
    smile9265 / Mar 26 2020 15.49

I've been cutting for a while but recently that isn't becoming enough, I've starting looking for other options. i have close friend how smokes and i regularly wait with her whilst she does so. often they offer me one so far i said no but every night when laying in bed or when things aren't going well that's all i want. most nights I've started drinking. i'm not really sure how to avoid all of it. it seems to be a constant fight with myself with no escape. i feel like if i start smoking then ill get addicted, and the nights i don't drink i'm become really angry.

I was starting to become better for long period of time but the whole isolation thing making me so much worse!

any ideas how to avoid fallen into that trap?

rocky2294 / Mar 26 2020 18.21

chocolate, cheese....sorry i feel ridiculous everytime, but if you aren't vegan, then eat chocolate and cheese if you get a craving, replase it, instead of smoking or drinking, it works because it is fatty and it distracts you for a while, prohapse....as we are in isolation find snacks that your parents/ carers leave out for you, as for cutting, i can talk about that as i've been there? or you could talk to a childline counseller, but as there is long waiting ques, i thought you might want to talk to me...i've been through so much, but i'm happy and okay, i would love to help xx

3. Childline Avatar
    rocky2294 / Mar 26 2020 18.21

chocolate, cheese....sorry i feel ridiculous everytime, but if you aren't vegan, then eat chocolate and cheese if you get a craving, replase it, instead of smoking or drinking, it works because it is fatty and it distracts you for a while, prohapse....as we are in isolation find snacks that your parents/ carers leave out for you, as for cutting, i can talk about that as i've been there? or you could talk to a childline counseller, but as there is long waiting ques, i thought you might want to talk to me...i've been through so much, but i'm happy and okay, i would love to help xx

smile9265 / Mar 27 2020 23.48

Thanks, ill give that ago. I'm not a vegan, don't panic! As for cutting i'm happy to talk to you, i have to keep it all hidden from my parents as they wont be happy. Any ideas to help stop that would be hugely appreciated as well!!

xx

4. Childline Avatar
    smile9265 / Mar 27 2020 23.48

Thanks, ill give that ago. I'm not a vegan, don't panic! As for cutting i'm happy to talk to you, i have to keep it all hidden from my parents as they wont be happy. Any ideas to help stop that would be hugely appreciated as well!!

xx

rocky2294 / Mar 28 2020 13.45

Ah good...it would have just been awkward recommending chocolate to a vegan, I've done that before....cutting is the hardest tbh....It took me loads of my spare time after school and now college to take of myself, it has caused other issues like I get up out of bed and can't wash because I have no energy. but those days are rarer than they used to be. how long have you been doing it for?? I was for four years, but I managed to go clean until December and then I did it again, I have nw been back clean for 3 weeks.....but I am willing to help, I just would like to know how long you have been doing it...if you are comfortable with telling me and how old are you btw?? My name is Charlie....I used to be called kira, i'd love to help xx.

5. Childline Avatar
    rocky2294 / Mar 28 2020 13.45

Ah good...it would have just been awkward recommending chocolate to a vegan, I've done that before....cutting is the hardest tbh....It took me loads of my spare time after school and now college to take of myself, it has caused other issues like I get up out of bed and can't wash because I have no energy. but those days are rarer than they used to be. how long have you been doing it for?? I was for four years, but I managed to go clean until December and then I did it again, I have nw been back clean for 3 weeks.....but I am willing to help, I just would like to know how long you have been doing it...if you are comfortable with telling me and how old are you btw?? My name is Charlie....I used to be called kira, i'd love to help xx.

smile9265 / Mar 29 2020 0.23

I've been doing it for about six years now, usually on and off. Normal i can do it once or twice then i don't for at least 2 weeks, but recently its a lot more then that. Most of the time i'm able to use that to calm myself then after a while but at the moment things have been a lot more stressful and i think that what causing me to do it more. I'm 17, my name is rose. I really appreciate your help. I'm glad to hear that you've been clean for three weeks! xx

6. Heart

I've been doing it for about six years now, usually on and off. Normal i can do it once or twice then i don't for at least 2 weeks, but recently its a lot more then that. Most of the time i'm able to use that to calm myself then after a while but at the moment things have been a lot more stressful and i think that what causing me to do it more. I'm 17, my name is rose. I really appreciate your help. I'm glad to hear that you've been clean for three weeks! xx

girlX123x / Mar 30 2020 4.46

Do you have any methods to stop me from doing it I am just at my lowest point rn

7. Childline Avatar

rocky2294 / Mar 30 2020 9.53

firstly sorry that it took so long for me to reply to this, it didn't come through that you had replied so it's a good thing that I checked this! :) anyway, I worked out that I had been cutting all together since I was 2013 and I am 17 now so I have been doing it for that means I have done it for six and a bit years....it's pretty scary to realize that thought. I was close to doing it last night, but just stopped myself by writing in my diary.., writing can really help distract with cutting or listening to rock and heavy metal helps, drawing fake cuts all over my arms helps, do you tend to cut on your arms or legs, or both, obviously don't draw over any cuts you have atmm….I feel your situation is pretty similar to mine I started smoking and drinking, but it doesn't help long term, it's a short term fix and then you need one cig or one drink again....so I don't recommend you doing that. I am stopping smoking atm and drinking, I stopped a while ago! are you finding things stressful because of the corona...or something else?? I want you to tell me if you can't answer a question, I don't want to trigger you at any point xx

8. Childline Avatar

Do you have any methods to stop me from doing it I am just at my lowest point rn

rocky2294 / Mar 30 2020 11.13

from cutting??

9. Childline Avatar
    rocky2294 / Mar 30 2020 9.53

firstly sorry that it took so long for me to reply to this, it didn't come through that you had replied so it's a good thing that I checked this! :) anyway, I worked out that I had been cutting all together since I was 2013 and I am 17 now so I have been doing it for that means I have done it for six and a bit years....it's pretty scary to realize that thought. I was close to doing it last night, but just stopped myself by writing in my diary.., writing can really help distract with cutting or listening to rock and heavy metal helps, drawing fake cuts all over my arms helps, do you tend to cut on your arms or legs, or both, obviously don't draw over any cuts you have atmm….I feel your situation is pretty similar to mine I started smoking and drinking, but it doesn't help long term, it's a short term fix and then you need one cig or one drink again....so I don't recommend you doing that. I am stopping smoking atm and drinking, I stopped a while ago! are you finding things stressful because of the corona...or something else?? I want you to tell me if you can't answer a question, I don't want to trigger you at any point xx

smile9265 / Mar 30 2020 14.21

What your saying makes it feel like we have similar situations, which i know isn't the best cause i don't want anyone to feel like this but it definitely makes me feel less alone, so thank you.

Its not good that you almost cut but at least you stopped yourself form doing it. Which is a positive and you have to hold onto that!

I think it likely to be because of the virus, its causing a lot of change within my life and i work best with routine. Things were stressful coursework balance with my training for dance that always been hard but things at home became stressful and then the corona just added to it. I could usually cope but yeah your probably right the corona making things so stressful.

10. Childline Avatar

smile9265 / Mar 30 2020 14.28

There a lot of different methods. i know there's another page on this website that is all about self harming and methods.

some of the things i've used in the past are throwing pillows or stress balls at walls

playing with playdo

squishing pillows or stress balls

screaming into pillows

if your talking about cutting then they would be my suggestions

if your talking about smoking and alcohol then honestly i'm not sure. Rocky2294 suggested eating chocolate and/or cheese

i hope that helps you, if you need to vent or talk then let me know, there always someone therefor you. people care about you, you just have to find the right people. well done you should be proud of yourself tho cause you've made the first step to stopping by coming on her and asking for help. :)

11. Childline Avatar
    smile9265 / Mar 30 2020 14.21

What your saying makes it feel like we have similar situations, which i know isn't the best cause i don't want anyone to feel like this but it definitely makes me feel less alone, so thank you.

Its not good that you almost cut but at least you stopped yourself form doing it. Which is a positive and you have to hold onto that!

I think it likely to be because of the virus, its causing a lot of change within my life and i work best with routine. Things were stressful coursework balance with my training for dance that always been hard but things at home became stressful and then the corona just added to it. I could usually cope but yeah your probably right the corona making things so stressful.

rocky2294 / Mar 30 2020 16.20

i keep trying to reply....to this, but I couldn't put the words if that makes sence….yh we have similar situations and yeah no-one should feel like we do, but some people do unfortunately :( I keep having episodes, I have the worst anxiety I have ever had.. like I don't usually struggle with anxiety, it's always been depression, but now I have anxiety, which is causing the depression. yh this corona virus is breaking me down ngl...my boyfriend is obviously in lockdown too and so now theres no chance we can see at the moment, I am feeling pretty rubbish today....but I am okay, if that makes sence?? like I am okay I can deal with it but every so often I just stare at something and I end up getting about a billion thoughts at once...I struggled typing this, cause I ended up in one of those episodes....hru?? x

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything