My grades are good, but Im always scared they'll drop

Show
  1. Demolishing
    jsbach / Mar 19 2020 15.02

My grades are naturally high, so I've never had to revise. I'm in Y8 now, and I'm starting to try and get into the habit of revising, so that when I do my gcses I'll know how to, but my test score averages have started to drop from 95-100 to 85-95, so I'm really worried and I can never concentrate in classes or when I'm trying to do revision even when I really try. People started to think that I revise in 'secret' but tell everyone that I don't to make them feel bad, which isn't true at all! Last week I got an 88% in Physics so I got really upset and angry at myself and everyone just got kind of annoyed and said that I'm being dramatic, when I just have higher expectations.

Does anyone know any tips to help concentrate when doing revision and to not make it boring?

2. Small
    jsbach / Mar 19 2020 15.02

My grades are naturally high, so I've never had to revise. I'm in Y8 now, and I'm starting to try and get into the habit of revising, so that when I do my gcses I'll know how to, but my test score averages have started to drop from 95-100 to 85-95, so I'm really worried and I can never concentrate in classes or when I'm trying to do revision even when I really try. People started to think that I revise in 'secret' but tell everyone that I don't to make them feel bad, which isn't true at all! Last week I got an 88% in Physics so I got really upset and angry at myself and everyone just got kind of annoyed and said that I'm being dramatic, when I just have higher expectations.

Does anyone know any tips to help concentrate when doing revision and to not make it boring?

amazingbutterfly / Apr 14 2020 14.36

I had the same problem when i was in lower secondary school years, i was always focusing on the percentage i got wrong instead of the percentage i got right and whatever score, i would never be satisfied. This is quite common, but can be anxiety provoking.

What i would suggest is look through the paper write down 1 or 2 things you could have done better or need to work on for next time and then write down 1 or 2 things you did well. After that, shut the paper and shelve it away somewhere and move on, only look at it for revision.

I regret not revising in lower years, but remember to enjoy the time you have, focus on your mental wellbeing and try not to stress too much about GCSES, it is no use to you obsessing about grades i find it does not improve them just lowers them as you get more stressed. Take regular breaks, do other things besides school work.

Concentration wise, i would suggest creating an uplifting music playlist, sit in a place with lots of natural light, use highlighters, think about the type of learner you are - if quizzes help or auditory (youtube videos) or visual (diagrams,mindmaps), make a timetable etc.

Also, a study group with some friends and you could maybe teach each other and help each other stay focused.

Oh and hobbies and interests try to keep doing those as they will really help you as you get to more stressful times in the future. It is good to have a time to relax and a go to activity.

Hope you find this helpful, if i can think of anything else i will reply again, if you ever need to talk i am here for you

L x

3. Childline Avatar
    Upsie-Daisy26 / Jan 14 2021 11.57

Hi there,

I feel exactly the same! I am in year 10 and I normally get fairly high marks without trying - I tend to tell people that I have revised even if I haven't because people get annoyed/upset/offended and accuse me of lying if I say I haven't.

Recently (as we have started our GCSE courses) I have been getting lower marks in assessments (kind of in the 80s rather than the 90s). However if I try and talk to my friends about this they get annoyed and think I'm 'flexing' or fishing for compliments. I'm not! I am genuinely worried about this but peers, teachers and parents won't take me seriously.

Upsie oxo

4. Childline Avatar
    the-roses / Jan 26 2021 21.54

first of all omg ur amazing like revising already it just so awesome that u can do that. I'm starting gcse's and i literally haven't revised, ik this isn't much help but don't stress I'm sure you'll do amazing, also don't put to much presureon urself especilly now cos of corona and stuff, ur grades will naturally drop. xx

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything