Putting On A Face

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    SmallKiwi / Jan 15 2020 23.49

hey guys, so my mum has clinical depression and i am her carer, i have isolated myself because of this, putting on a face for friends, family, teachers, even my (divorced) parents. sometimes i don't even know who i am. i'm not sure if any of this makes sense but yeah. needed some advise on talking and getting back to having fun with friends and family, especially parents.

2. Sheep
    SmallKiwi / Jan 15 2020 23.49

hey guys, so my mum has clinical depression and i am her carer, i have isolated myself because of this, putting on a face for friends, family, teachers, even my (divorced) parents. sometimes i don't even know who i am. i'm not sure if any of this makes sense but yeah. needed some advise on talking and getting back to having fun with friends and family, especially parents.

xXOldAccountXx / Jan 21 2020 16.45

Hi there,

When you say you are 'putting on a face', what exactly do you mean? It's kind of hard to understand. Do your friends know that you are a young carer and your mum has clinical depression? If you're able to answer these questions I'll be able to try and give you some advice.

-Holly x

3. Childline Avatar
    xXOldAccountXx / Jan 21 2020 16.45

Hi there,

When you say you are 'putting on a face', what exactly do you mean? It's kind of hard to understand. Do your friends know that you are a young carer and your mum has clinical depression? If you're able to answer these questions I'll be able to try and give you some advice.

-Holly x

SmallKiwi / Jan 28 2020 18.24

Hello

well what i mean by 'putting on a face' is that i feel like i have to act a certain way around my friends so that they notice me and ask how i am. but in actual fact most of the time my friends ask me how i am, its just my anxiety and worries that flood my thoughts. most of my friends don't know that my mum has clinical depression and don't really understand my situation.

thank you for replying i didn't really think that anyone would say anything.

4. Childline Avatar
    Elizabeth1510 / Feb 06 2020 0.18

I feel the same way. My mum has some mental health issues, and she's the only adult around really. I always 'put on a face' for everybody. I feel like they only want to be around the 'me' that's happy, so that's who I become around them. When really, when I'm alone, I'm just really lost and frustrated. It can be so difficult when you feel like nobody understands. Honestly, it's like grasping at water. You can feel the person you want to be continuously slipping through your fingers and you just know you'll never be able to hold onto it. Sometimes I can feel really numb and it just feels like the water is falling down the drain.

5. Headphones
    Fighting-2-live / Mar 29 2020 16.55

i understand what you mean. my mum has clinical depression among other mental and physical disabilities and i was here carer for a number of years (i am no longer as me and my sisters had to be taken away from our mum because her mental health was getting so bad). i still even not put on a face in front of everyone- i act happy when i want to cry and scream etc.

when you are with your friends, make the most of that time and do your best to enjoy it. if you feel the need to talk to them about your situation then do, friends are there to help you. when you are with family members, also enjoy that time and if you are able to include your mum (depending on how bad her depression is) then do! you would be able to have a fun time together. try and find things that your mum enjoys and can do and do more of that with her. i’m sure it will make both of you happy with eachother being happy and having a break from having that ‘young carer’ role as i know it can get a bit much. if you have any questions then i’m happy to do my best to answer or if you want to talk then i’ll listen

-Sammy x

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything