Eating Issues and School Safeguarding

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    Temporary25862455 / Oct 12 2019 20.59

So I really don’t know why Ive decided to come on here to do this but I didnt know what else to do. Im 17 and in sixth form, and im really struggling with eating. Ive not been diagnosed with anything, but i go through phases of not eating for days, or eating a considerable amount and then purging. Im also a dancer so I do a lot of excersize, meaning Ive lost a lot of weight recently.

Im fairly sure that my school are going to question me about it and I was wondering if anybody knew anything about what the school has to do about it if I talk to them? I know with things like self harm they have to ring your parents, and if that happens to me I know everything will get worse. I wouldn’t be able to deal with the backlash from my mum. If anybody knows anything about what school will do please help, im scared.

2. Prisoner
    Happysmiles24 / Oct 13 2019 0.14

Because you're above the age of 16 school don't have to tell your parents I'm pretty sure. Because if you ended up in hospital for whatever reason your parents don't have to find out. I'm assuming this though it would make sense if they were the same kind of principal. They would definitely recommend telling your family though just so that they can support you. That's just the way school is. That is what might happen not entirely guaranteed.

M

3. Childline Avatar

So I really don’t know why Ive decided to come on here to do this but I didnt know what else to do. Im 17 and in sixth form, and im really struggling with eating. Ive not been diagnosed with anything, but i go through phases of not eating for days, or eating a considerable amount and then purging. Im also a dancer so I do a lot of excersize, meaning Ive lost a lot of weight recently.

Im fairly sure that my school are going to question me about it and I was wondering if anybody knew anything about what the school has to do about it if I talk to them? I know with things like self harm they have to ring your parents, and if that happens to me I know everything will get worse. I wouldn’t be able to deal with the backlash from my mum. If anybody knows anything about what school will do please help, im scared.

Temporary05671511 / Oct 17 2019 23.06

Hey! I’m in the same boat as you. I was diagnosed but my new teachers in sixth form didn’t know. When they found out I’d been struggling a lot more recently with food and was having a relapse they did have to ring my mum. You’re not a legal adult yet and they need to ring home if they’re worried. It’s part of their duty of care. You could maybe phrase it in a way that you got to have the real conversation with your mum but either way you’ll have to accept the help eventually. It can be really helpful and if you don’t receive any now you’ll end up in hospital which isn’t good for your dancing or college. I was a figure skater and that got taken away. Try and sort it now before it’s too late for you to control at all. Good luck and hope you’re feeling brighter soon petal.

Faith xx

4. Childline Avatar
    zoella2345 / Oct 19 2019 0.10

i have been dealing with eating issues for almost 2 years now, it has been on and off i was 13 ish when it started in the december i am now 15 teachers never noticed for me but evenatllly i had to go to the doctors as i was un sure of why i was dizzy all the time they explained i told my school and they never told my dad he found that out himself

5. Childline Avatar

Temporary42839917 / Oct 23 2019 6.20

U don't have to tell ur mum but they will advice u to tell your family, they will re refare u to camhs depending how bad the situation is and if your in danger and a risk to yourself they get a team involved rapid response team (rrt) what support u for 72 hours and if u get put in hospital they refer u to the mental health team I only know all this bc it's happened to me

Hope this helps

Mollie xx

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything