being the older sibling!

Show
  1. Sweets
    teddyfrog / Jul 15 2019 21.07

hey guys! i hope you're doing well. lately i've been thinking a lot about how the older sibling gets a lot more flak from their parent(s). as an older sister myself, i usually find myself acting like another mother and looking after my younger sister.

usually she hits/punches me and will call me names but i never retaliate because there is a 6 year age gap (im 15). also, she has a lot of medical issues so i don't want to make her sad. i just got into a pretty big fight with her. she over reacts a lot, when i just ask her to move or if she can share her food or something. she's 8 years old and able minded and bodied, so i don't really see why she hasn't learnt to stop yet. she grabbed my hair and shook me back and forth like a raggedy ann doll! it didn't hurt that much because she does it often. but still i was pretty shocked at how she grabbed on to me! also shocked at how my mum barely scolded her! i know for sure if i did something like that i'd get in HUGE trouble!

this got me thinking about the experimental punishments my parents tried on me when i was her age. sounds freaky, but i mean things like the naughty step and a spoonful of mustard if i poked my tongue out at people. then i realised my sister has never gotten anything of the like!

i really think the older siblings get a lot worse than the younger ones! of course its not good and not a competition who gets it worse but, its sad to me knowing a lot of big sisters/brothers/siblings have to grow up a lot earlier than their younger family members.

we should all unite! i'm pretty annoyed at my mum right now. she acts really immature when i try to talk about these things and tells me 'you're not the mum!' i hope i can get through to her. she was a younger sibling so she cant really empathise. wish me luck...

2. Superstar
    senorita-luna / Jul 16 2019 20.44

Heeey girl! And omg I'm an older sister too, this post is so relatable! #OlderSistersUnite

Being an older sister is a second mum. This means we're the ones having to grow 10x faster than the rest! Being a mother to kids we did not even bring into this world. Sometimes that can also put us into a low state from the duties, responsibilities being pressured on us and then when complaining we shouldnt as "were not the mum". It can be frustrating.

Older sisters deserve more recognition! The best way is to realise that these siblings are blessed to have an older sister like you (although sometimes it doesnt feel like it haha) and that your helping your mum out in a HUGE way! As well as, maybe a little too ahead of preparation for our Own motherhood? We should be hopeful that our siblings return the favour when they're older! It's great your trying to talk about your feelings with your mum and coming on here.

Wishing you all the best fellow older sister! Your amazing!

3. Childline Avatar
    Uglytoothers / Jul 16 2019 23.09

im the middle child. i can‘t relate but the only thing i know is that i get into a big argument nearly every day. i feel lonely like i have no one on my side. my mum emotionally abuses me nearly every day but i quietly bear it. what shall i do?

4. Superstar
    Uglytoothers / Jul 16 2019 23.09

im the middle child. i can‘t relate but the only thing i know is that i get into a big argument nearly every day. i feel lonely like i have no one on my side. my mum emotionally abuses me nearly every day but i quietly bear it. what shall i do?

senorita-luna / Jul 19 2019 20.02

Heeey hope your well

We have different experiences from being the older/younger child no doubt. An argument everyday seems a lot to handle, its great you've come on here there's so much support! Quietly bearing it is also bottling it all up and then you'll have a breaking point where you wont be able to take it anymore.

My best advice for you is to not bottle it up! Talk. Speak. Hear yourself out. Talk to a trusted adult, individual or use the 1-2-1 counsellor here, they're always here to listen.

5. Childline Avatar
    PurpleHoneyBee2000 / Aug 04 2019 23.00

im an older sister too and really do see where youre coming from. its like even if my sister does something to me i cant do anything back cause if i do i get. "youre older you should know better than to do anything like that" then even when i told my parents they favourite her they go no we dont we love you both equally. like what?!

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything