Are you told when confidentiality has been broken?

Show
  1. Artist
    artsymemes72 / Aug 01 2018 14.41

I know this is kind of a silly question but when the person you're talking to has to break the confidentiality promise do they tell you?

2. Reaching out
    Jas-Host / Aug 03 2018 19.03

Hi winteriscold92,

It's definitely not a silly question and we're sure others will wonder too. This page talks about about confidentiality, so it might help out to have a look: https://www.childline.org.uk/about/confidentiality-promise/

If the counsellors ever do have to tell someone else, they'll listen to how the young person feels and try to look at what might help that person to cope. The counsellors will be able to talk over what they want to do too to make sure that the young person's safety comes first.

Sometimes they might have to think if its the right time to tell the young person but usually they will be talking to them about things in their life and working together. And no matter what, the counsellors are there to support right through and afterwards.

And the others on here might be able to share their experiences too!

Take care,

Jas-Host

3. Heart

I know this is kind of a silly question but when the person you're talking to has to break the confidentiality promise do they tell you?

Crystal16 / Aug 04 2018 10.44

hi,

when i spoke to a childline counsellor over 1-2-1 chat they broke my confidentiality and they didnt tell me. they told me that they wanted to ring an ambulance or police and asked me for me details like my address etc. i refused to give them my details because i didnt want the emergency services turning up at my house and i carried on talking to them. about 10 minutes later the police turned up at my house. the counsellor i was talking to didnt tell me that they were ringing the police. also how did childline find out where i live?

so most of the time childline will tell you if they are going to break confidentiality but in cases like mine when you refuse to give away your details, they wont tell you because they dont want you panicking or leaving the place you are at.

hope this helped

4. Reaching out

jenni21 / Aug 05 2018 19.10

Hi

when I spoke to ChildLine counsellor on 121 chat they broke my confidentiality promise the other day they already knew my address and my full name but they didn't tell me that they were phoning the police or anything they would listen to you more then if they think your in danger and away to hurt your self.

the next day the police came to my house and said that ChildLine phoned them.

before ChildLine break your confidentiality they would tell you first and listen to you but if they thought you were in danger and away to hurt yourself then they will probably phone the police and get them to come to your house but they should tell you first before they do it.

They wont tell you that they are away to phone the police as they don't want use to panic.

5. Fixer
    estoycansada / May 04 2020 13.42

well, childline do not tell you if you email them. I had the surprise of a police officer at my door at 2am. What a lovely surprise!

6. Butterfly
    Darling10 / May 10 2020 17.22

It depends on a lot. They usually wont tell you until they know the emergency services are on the way because you could obviously leave the place you are at. I was told by an email after my chat but i had already gone of the website so i had an unexpected visit of an ambulance at 1am. One thing i thought i would point out is if you dont tell childline your location they can get the police involved to track your advice so you might as well just tell them. Always remember childline do what they do for your safety so if the break confidentiality dont get angry they are doing it so you are safe.

7. Outcast
    AnxiousButNotGivingUp / May 10 2020 19.50

I have had confidentiality broken twice in the past and I have always been told that they are breaking confidentiality. It has been with my permission. Both of the times it was someone at my school who has been told and then the person at school who is contacted tells me when Childline ring (mainly because they want to check why and whether I am okay.)

8. Butterfly
    Darling10 / May 10 2020 21.28

Yes my school have been told twice and i gave permission but i didnt give permission for the ambulance as i refused but they called one anyway

9. Burying
    RainbowOstrichBrownie / Aug 03 2020 17.14

Does anyone on here know whether if you want to commit suicide and/or are or want to start self-harming, they break confidentiality? I'm just interested. For some reason, I like reading this sort of thing where people are discussing when Childline have broken confidentiality (though I hate the idea of it ever happening to me). I've never wanted to self-harm or kill myself, just to reassure everyone.

10. Outcast
    RainbowOstrichBrownie / Aug 03 2020 17.14

Does anyone on here know whether if you want to commit suicide and/or are or want to start self-harming, they break confidentiality? I'm just interested. For some reason, I like reading this sort of thing where people are discussing when Childline have broken confidentiality (though I hate the idea of it ever happening to me). I've never wanted to self-harm or kill myself, just to reassure everyone.

TransForLifeBois / Aug 10 2020 0.31

Hi,

Yes, those topics are very serious and they would definately for the first one. For self-harm it depends on what and how sever (sorry if i spelt that wrong).

Take care,

Tom

11. Burying
    TransForLifeBois / Aug 10 2020 0.31

Hi,

Yes, those topics are very serious and they would definately for the first one. For self-harm it depends on what and how sever (sorry if i spelt that wrong).

Take care,

Tom

RainbowOstrichBrownie / Aug 10 2020 11.22

thanks

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything