Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    tea-and-biscuits / Mar 07 2018 20.55

It seems to me that Childline is a bit recursive. Meaning that, when I speak to a counsellor I often feel that the only advice that they're giving is the fact that I can speak to a counsellor, which obviously I already knew. For instance, I go onto the 1-2-1 chat, they ask me a lot of questions about how I'm feeling, I respond to those questions, they sometimes repeat those questions for some unknown reason, then eventually say that 'if you ever need to talk to us again, you can use 1-2-1 chat/the message boards/the actual phone number/email'. But why would I want to use those when the only real advice I get is the fact that I CAN access childline services?

For instance, today I spent roughly an hour with one counsellor on 1-2-1 chat and one of the first things they said was something along the lines of "is there anyone you feel you can talk to about this?" Well, I feel I can talk to childline, that's why I'm here! They then didn't really say anything useful for the rest of the chat. I tried again about an hour later, and spent again roughly an hour as they asked me every detail about how I was feeling (even though I had asked them to read the notes of the previous chat) and once I was finally done explaining each detail they asked (an hour later!), their only advice was that I could ask on the message boards! If I wanted to ask on the message boards about such a personal issue, I would have done. However, obviously the other children of all ages that would be replying to me on the message board aren't as experienced as the childline counsellors, so that was quite useless advice. I thought: "what advice could possibly be given on the message boards that the childline counsellor themselves wouldn't be able to just give me directly on the 1-2-1 chat?"

2. Chatterbox
    daisy--chain / Mar 07 2018 21.04

Hi. I understand how you feel. Sometimes when I've had a chat with a counsellor, it feels like they are just telling me I did the right thing going to them, or that I should tell an adult. But sometimes, you get a really good chat with actual advice.

I can see how you think a counsellor can be more informative than the message boards, but if you post on the message boards, many young people will give you advice, and every person may give you something different and you can find what works. Also, there may be others who have experienced what you're going through, and can advise you from their experience.

I hope this helps. I know you want one of the hosts to reply, and they probably will, but I thought I could help a little bit.

-Leona

3. Heart
    GlitterSprinkles / Mar 07 2018 21.36

Hi there,

Childline try really hard to make the service a positive and helpful place for young people. That being said, I do actually understand what you're saying. I too often feel like I go onto a 1-2-1 chat, I explain the situation, they ask me questions, and then they seem to want to end the chat and tell me they're always available to talk. I find I rarely get any advice on how to deal with the situation or any ideas on what I can do, and if I do get any advice (which is rare) it normally seems more catered for quite young children, despite Childline supporting people up until age 19. I have sometimes had counsellors who have been really helpful, they've gotten links to services I needed and tried their best to help me, but yes often it feels like I walk away with no advice and no better abled to deal with my problem.

I appreciate they can't tell us what to do as they don't know our situation or what's best for us, but they could give some suggestions and advice on what to do and how to cope more often.

4. Heart
    Bonnie06 / Mar 08 2018 1.22

Hey! I‘m Bonnie and i use the message boards sometimes.

I‘m really sorry that youre feeling frustrated with childline, it’s such a shame that they haven’t been able to help you in the couple of chats that you have had. Maybe you could try and talk to a childline counsellor on the phone instead, this gives you more time to explain everything that youve explained here and then the counsellor and work with you in a way that suits you best? just an idea, have a little think about it.

You say that us children on the message boards arent as experienced as the counsellors however im going to have to disagree with you there and ill explain why. There are SOO many different children using the boards all of which are of different ages and have all been through different difficult situations.. The boards are split up into different catagories so that you can search for the problem youre dealing with and then talk to other children who have been through the same problem or is going through the same problem - who’s best to talk too? someone who KNOWS what you’re going through and how it feels or someone whos trained to sort of understand how it feels? I know which one i recon. No, we arent trained to talk and to listen like the counsellors are however, we do know what its like to be a youth in todays generation. There is always someone willing to talk to you here, we’re all here for the same reasons and thats to help and recieve help.

I hope that you feel able to have another chat with the counsellors - they do want to help you. You should consider telling them what you find helpful and what you dont find helpful so that you can work together in a way that suits you both.

best of luck, always here

Bonnie

5. Childline Avatar
    tea-and-biscuits / Mar 08 2018 17.56

Thanks everyone. I tried emailing childline about my problem, so I've been really specific and hopefully that'll help. Wow I am determined to get a good response! I'm always a little weary about using the message boards in case someone figures out who I am.

6. Heart
    tea-and-biscuits / Mar 08 2018 17.56

Thanks everyone. I tried emailing childline about my problem, so I've been really specific and hopefully that'll help. Wow I am determined to get a good response! I'm always a little weary about using the message boards in case someone figures out who I am.

Bonnie06 / Mar 08 2018 19.49

The hosts are here to make sure that we all stay anonymous and safe. They would never let you post anything that identified you so rest assured, we dont know who you are and never will

Hope you get the help you’re looking for from the emails.

Bonnie

7. Reaching out
    tea-and-biscuits / Mar 07 2018 20.55

It seems to me that Childline is a bit recursive. Meaning that, when I speak to a counsellor I often feel that the only advice that they're giving is the fact that I can speak to a counsellor, which obviously I already knew. For instance, I go onto the 1-2-1 chat, they ask me a lot of questions about how I'm feeling, I respond to those questions, they sometimes repeat those questions for some unknown reason, then eventually say that 'if you ever need to talk to us again, you can use 1-2-1 chat/the message boards/the actual phone number/email'. But why would I want to use those when the only real advice I get is the fact that I CAN access childline services?

For instance, today I spent roughly an hour with one counsellor on 1-2-1 chat and one of the first things they said was something along the lines of "is there anyone you feel you can talk to about this?" Well, I feel I can talk to childline, that's why I'm here! They then didn't really say anything useful for the rest of the chat. I tried again about an hour later, and spent again roughly an hour as they asked me every detail about how I was feeling (even though I had asked them to read the notes of the previous chat) and once I was finally done explaining each detail they asked (an hour later!), their only advice was that I could ask on the message boards! If I wanted to ask on the message boards about such a personal issue, I would have done. However, obviously the other children of all ages that would be replying to me on the message board aren't as experienced as the childline counsellors, so that was quite useless advice. I thought: "what advice could possibly be given on the message boards that the childline counsellor themselves wouldn't be able to just give me directly on the 1-2-1 chat?"

Jas-Host / Mar 09 2018 14.59

Hi purplechicky,

It's great to see all the replies and that you've also sent an email. We always want you to have that help and support.

It's true that the counsellors will ask certain questions to find out a bit more about what you're going through and how you're feeling.

Sometimes, young people maybe aren't sure what they'd like from a chat or what they'd like to happen. And that's always ok. It can take time. At other times, you might have an idea of direction you'd like the chat to go in. Or know what things you don't find helpful.

We know it's not always easy but it's definitely ok to tell a counsellor what you'd like or for you to direct the conversation. There might be things they need to check out, to make sure they are giving the right support and keeping you safe but it's always ok to say.

It's a great idea to ask to look over notes - that can really help when you want to pick up where you left off rather than going over the same things and we're sorry that didn't happen. There might be times when you are thinking of who else you might want to talk to but that's about if and when it feels right. You can definitely come to Childline because that's who you've decided to talk to!

The boards are where all different young people come. Some of them also speak to the counsellors, some only use the boards. Bonnie has done a great job explaining how the community can help but it's again about feels right for you. All posts are checked before they go up and we have house rules to keep you all safe. Have you seen this page https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/message-boards/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-boards/ ? And if there's anything us hosts can help out with, let us know!

We pass all feedback to the counselling team too.

Take care,

Jas-Host

8. Reaching out
    daisy--chain / Mar 07 2018 21.04

Hi. I understand how you feel. Sometimes when I've had a chat with a counsellor, it feels like they are just telling me I did the right thing going to them, or that I should tell an adult. But sometimes, you get a really good chat with actual advice.

I can see how you think a counsellor can be more informative than the message boards, but if you post on the message boards, many young people will give you advice, and every person may give you something different and you can find what works. Also, there may be others who have experienced what you're going through, and can advise you from their experience.

I hope this helps. I know you want one of the hosts to reply, and they probably will, but I thought I could help a little bit.

-Leona

Jas-Host / Mar 09 2018 15.07

Hi Leona,

Thanks for helping out - it's a great way of explaining how the boards can help!

If there's ever a chat that you'd like us to pass on for you, just let us know. Knowing the date and an idea of the time can really help us to find out to make sure we get the right one.

Thanks for posting!

Take care,

Jas-Host

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything