Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    BookLoverLikeHermione123 / Feb 11 2018 21.41

I'm in Year 9 and been told I have to make my final choices now. I've already started a few courses. I'm having weekly mental breakdowns because of all this If I'm having a bad and busy week it's daily. GCSE's are so much closer than i think. I know at this point it isn't that much to worry about but i'm a stresser. I was wondering if anyone had a tips for me about coping with the breakdowns in school and stress. I've already tried the methods on here they just don't work.

2. Heart
    tryingtobehappy918 / Feb 13 2018 1.18

Hey I'm 17 years old and just last year I done my GCSE's and believe me they are stressful - can't argue with you on that one. The worst thing is when teachers are telling you how what choices you pick are the ones you have for the rest of your life!! But, let me tell you this I'm currently looking for an apprenticeship but since finishing school I've attended 2 different sixth forms and 2 different apprenticeships - all since September! So I just want you to know that you can change anytime you want! I was scared of making the wrong choice but this is the best thing about leaving school - you have your own choice so don't worry! My tips for the GCSE's is flash cards!! Xx

3. Childline Avatar
    tryingtobehappy918 / Feb 13 2018 1.18

Hey I'm 17 years old and just last year I done my GCSE's and believe me they are stressful - can't argue with you on that one. The worst thing is when teachers are telling you how what choices you pick are the ones you have for the rest of your life!! But, let me tell you this I'm currently looking for an apprenticeship but since finishing school I've attended 2 different sixth forms and 2 different apprenticeships - all since September! So I just want you to know that you can change anytime you want! I was scared of making the wrong choice but this is the best thing about leaving school - you have your own choice so don't worry! My tips for the GCSE's is flash cards!! Xx

BookLoverLikeHermione123 / Feb 13 2018 16.23

Thanks 🙂

4. Childline Avatar
    RoseOwl77 / Feb 27 2018 21.24

Hey, I'm currently in Year 11 and am doing my GCSEs. I've also really struggled with stress about work, so I completely understand what you're going through.

You've probably read this everywhere but it can be helpful to talk to someone. It doesn't have to be someone official like a teacher or a parent, just a person that you trust.

Some techniques that have helped me cope with stress about schoolwork:

-writing a list of smaller tasks to do and tackling them one by one (this really helps if you have a big piece of work to do, break it down into small tasks and it will be much more managable)

-writing down worries on paper and ripping it up

-talking to someone

-taking deep breaths (and meditation)

-trying to keep things in perspective

-talking to teachers about topics you are worried about

-trying to stay as organised as possible (this is difficult, but little things like packing your bag the night before school make lots of difference)

-taking time out to rest and relax (this is super important: I used to overwork myself, and needed time to recover. I'd recommend reading a book or watching some TV or a movie or having a relaxing bath or whatever helps you to relax. Your mental health is much more important than any exam ever.)

GCSEs are so difficult, so its completely natural to feel anxious about them. Just remember that you have loads of time to complete the courses and work on any coursework, and your teachers are always there to help you.

Hope that helps a bit X

5. Childline Avatar
    Ginger2k18 / Mar 18 2018 22.59

Honestly, I'm the exact same. When I was in year 8 all the way up through junior school I used to panic about every small test and in the end, I always did well. That's kind of made me feel better this year although I still panic about GCSEs often. My advice to you: pick a job or goal and work towards it. Personally, I wanna be a doctor so I've did all three sciencEthan's further maths. That sounds stressful (and believe me it is) but in the end I know it'll all pay off and so I have something to look forward to. If you don't know what you want to be yet, that's ok!! Pick subjects that you enjoy doing but remember, leave your options open so that ycanard able to change your mind at a later stage. Tbh though, you're year 9! You still have the rest of this year and all of next year to chillax! Every teacher will tell you that every year matters but tbh, it doesn't. Just take your time and takethis next year as a chilled year and don't stress until you need to. Sometimes stress is good, but only when your body needs it to motivate you. Currently, since you are not SITTING your GCSEs, your body doesn't need stress. Try not to over think your choices either otherwise you could pick something that isn't really worth pickinNAND honestly, you can drop out of certain subjects anyways. I hope this hepled in any way, and fr, don't worry b cuz it'll all be sweet in the end anyways <3

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything