Board for people with dissociative disorders?

Show
  1. Butterfly
    Em1500 / Jan 08 2018 21.12

Hey,

I've been really absent on the boards for quite a while but I'm being referred to camhs (finally), mainly due to my dissociation.

For the past 3 or so years I've been experiencing various things including dissociation. I have undiagnosed depersonalisation/derealisation disorder (which is the main reason for my camhs referral) which not many people know about and it's a real problem.

I was just wondering if there could be somewhere specific for people who have dissociative disorders to make posts? I think a board would be really helpful but I'm equally happy to make a thread about it that could be pinned up in one of the other boards (maybe "How u feeling?") and to reply to people's posts? It would be really good to start helping out around the boards again! It's just it's hard to feel valid as many mental health websites contain nothing about dissociation and gps don't know much about it.

Some other dissociative disorders include multiple personality disorder which is really serious.

Dissociation like I experience is the 3rd most common mental health symptom for other disorders but it can also be it's own disorder. I experience it daily over ranging periods of time and it's horrible.

I wouldn't know where to post if I wanted advice for it because the mental health boards are all quite specific and it's very difficult to understand if you haven't ever experienced it yourself.

Also could you maybe add a page in the "get support" section with some information about dissociative disorders too as I've been experiencing this feeling since I was about 13/14 and it would have been good to have information on the site a few years ago to help me feel more valid.

I'm happy to go into more detail about dprd if that would help!

Thank you,

Em

2. Reaching out
    Childline-Host / Jan 10 2018 11.05

Hello Em

I'm glad you have felt able to come back and post

(do remember to look after yourself and its great if you feel able to help out but its fine if you don't)

We would really like you to feel you have a place to talk about your specific mental health issue, I agree the closest place at the moment that it might feel relevant would be 'how u feelin?'

I will pass on your idea about having a space to talk about your specific issue and having some information on the Childline website.

In the meantime, if you would like to start a thread on the how u feelin board about dissociative disorders you can get the ball rolling

Thanks

Mel-host

3. Butterfly
    Childline-Host / Jan 10 2018 11.05

Hello Em

I'm glad you have felt able to come back and post

(do remember to look after yourself and its great if you feel able to help out but its fine if you don't)

We would really like you to feel you have a place to talk about your specific mental health issue, I agree the closest place at the moment that it might feel relevant would be 'how u feelin?'

I will pass on your idea about having a space to talk about your specific issue and having some information on the Childline website.

In the meantime, if you would like to start a thread on the how u feelin board about dissociative disorders you can get the ball rolling

Thanks

Mel-host

Em1500 / Jan 10 2018 18.38

Hi Mel!

I've missed the boards and it's so nice to be back and posting again!

I've made a thread now... it's here: https://www.childline.org.uk/get-support/message-boards/boards/threads/thread/?messageid=143786

Thank you so much!

Em

4. Butterfly
    Em1500 / Jan 28 2018 12.03

Hey,

I was just wondering if you know whether anything is going to happen with this?

I think the thread I made and some information could be enough but I was wondering if the thread I made could be pinned? I don't want it to be a thread about me so I don't post on there loads and just reply to other people but that means it's now on page 3 of the "How u Feeling" board so I'm guessing people won't know it's there and I was hoping that it could become a thread full of suggestions and advice for people suffering from these symptoms, a bit like the pinned coping mechanisms threads on the Self Harm board, for example!

Don't worry if not, I'd just like to know if anything more will happen!

Thank you,

Em

5. Artist
    Em1500 / Jan 28 2018 12.03

Hey,

I was just wondering if you know whether anything is going to happen with this?

I think the thread I made and some information could be enough but I was wondering if the thread I made could be pinned? I don't want it to be a thread about me so I don't post on there loads and just reply to other people but that means it's now on page 3 of the "How u Feeling" board so I'm guessing people won't know it's there and I was hoping that it could become a thread full of suggestions and advice for people suffering from these symptoms, a bit like the pinned coping mechanisms threads on the Self Harm board, for example!

Don't worry if not, I'd just like to know if anything more will happen!

Thank you,

Em

System747 / Oct 05 2020 21.47

Hey! Undiagnosed Dissociative amnesia and some type of mpd here! Can't remember nearly any of the abuse I went through for 11 years straight. Only 1-2 seconds snippets of some major events. That's it. There are these people in my head. It's like there's a huge space and at the front is the control column. The closer these people are the louder that get and sometimes they effect my actions. I'm told that my accent changes loads and always lose things in places I haven't been. And lots of people in school know my name even though I don't think ive ever met them before. Keep dissociating and getting told off at school, and in primary i always felt like I blinked and the teacher was on a different slide and I was in a different position writing a different thing. I was always so confused. Like was I asleep? Did I time travel? Did I zone out? How did I get here? And its super annoying. Anyone else struggle with this at school?

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything