When Do You Call Childline?

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    SeanOTRScreen / Nov 16 2016 21.08

If you want to call childline so that nobody knows, and so that it doesn't seem suspicious, when do you call? Where do you call? What do you do before calling? ect

2. Headphones
    TheAverageE / Nov 17 2016 17.13

Hiya,

This is a good question. A lot of young people including myself want to know an answer to this. Here's a few suggestions and things that I do:

You could wait until you know your family will be in another part of the house (such as on a movie night with a movie that you don't want to watch)

You could wait until your parents are cooking dinner and your other siblings are otherwise occupied

If you're old enough to be left home alone, you could call then (this is what I've always done)

If you have a mobile phone you could say you're going to a friends house but instead go somewhere somewhat private and call there

Or, as a last resort you could go into a telephone booth and make the call from there (I think it might be free as it's a 0800 number.

After a call, if you're using a phone that your parents also use, you might also want to delete the number from your recents (it won't show up on your phone bill, so no need to worry re that).

I hope this helps

Eleanor.

3. Reaching out
    TheAverageE / Nov 17 2016 17.13

Hiya,

This is a good question. A lot of young people including myself want to know an answer to this. Here's a few suggestions and things that I do:

You could wait until you know your family will be in another part of the house (such as on a movie night with a movie that you don't want to watch)

You could wait until your parents are cooking dinner and your other siblings are otherwise occupied

If you're old enough to be left home alone, you could call then (this is what I've always done)

If you have a mobile phone you could say you're going to a friends house but instead go somewhere somewhat private and call there

Or, as a last resort you could go into a telephone booth and make the call from there (I think it might be free as it's a 0800 number.

After a call, if you're using a phone that your parents also use, you might also want to delete the number from your recents (it won't show up on your phone bill, so no need to worry re that).

I hope this helps

Eleanor.

Childline-Host / Nov 17 2016 18.25

Hiya Eleanor and SeanOTRScreen,

What a really interesting thread this is and Eleanor it's great to see you responding and giving so many fab suggestions about when people might like to contact Childline.  The good news is you can ring Childline from a telephone booth too!  I'm sure others will find these suggestions really useful and if anyone else has any ideas, keep them coming!  Remember, if it's easier and more private you can also contact a counsellor via email or online chat too anywhere you have access to a computer or smart phone.

See you around the boards,

Lou-Host

4. Burying
    Childline-Host / Nov 17 2016 18.25

Hiya Eleanor and SeanOTRScreen,

What a really interesting thread this is and Eleanor it's great to see you responding and giving so many fab suggestions about when people might like to contact Childline.  The good news is you can ring Childline from a telephone booth too!  I'm sure others will find these suggestions really useful and if anyone else has any ideas, keep them coming!  Remember, if it's easier and more private you can also contact a counsellor via email or online chat too anywhere you have access to a computer or smart phone.

See you around the boards,

Lou-Host

RainbowOstrichBrownie / Aug 13 2020 15.25

Hi,

I don't have local phone boxes that I know of, I'm hardly ever home alone and I don't have a mobile yet, but I really want to call. My parents would hear me even if they were busy. What should I do?

Holly

5. Butterfly
    Darling10 / Aug 17 2020 18.58

its pits probably best if u use the online chat or email then

if u are desperate to call maybe do it outside

you could say your going on a walk and call them

i know it's hard to open up but have u ever thought about telling your parents as then they will know how much your struggling

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything