How do you get to sleep at night?

Show
  1. Childline Avatar
    Charlie-Host / Jun 05 2016 17.01

Hi guys,

You might have noticed that there is a lot of feedback here on the boards about the night service. In particular sometimes people call the counselling service after midnight and are asked to call back the next day if they are not in immediate danger. This is because there are so few counsellors on shift at night that they have to prioritise certain calls. You can also wait a long time to talk to someone at night too.

When people want to talk because they can’t sleep it can be really hard to know what else to do.

The counselling and website team are working together to see if they can come up with some ideas here on the site that might help you get to sleep during the night.

I think you guys can probably come up with loads of different ideas and things that you do to take your mind off your worries when you can’t sleep. So I suggested that they ask you!

It would be really great to hear what you do to help you sleep and also what things make it harder for you to get to sleep e.g. drinking sugary drinks before bedtime, watching tele.

Hopefully if we get enough ideas, we can help create some info to put on the childline website.

Also if there is anything that you find helpful here on the site that you use, why not put that in the thread too.

Just let me know if you have any questions or other thoughts.

Thanks for your help everyone

Take care
    Charlie-Host

2. Childline Avatar
    sadgrrl / Oct 16 2012 18.44

i do stuff like listen to music...if i really cant sleep then i read a book or do needlework or knitting until i feel sleepy...i also try and gt a regular bedtime routine as this seems to help.. meybe my body know when to sleep??!!

3. Childline Avatar
    Listening-Ear / Oct 17 2012 23.06

If I really can't sleep because I'm upset I have a good cry and then I'm really tired so it's easier to sleep. Sometimes I try NOT to sleep and eventually fall asleep. Works well  

4. Childline Avatar
    MusicalChef / Oct 19 2012 18.18
    charlie / host

Hi guys,

You might have noticed that there is a lot of feedback here on the boards about the night service. In particular sometimes people call the counselling service after midnight and are asked to call back the next day if they are not in immediate danger. This is because there are so few counsellors on shift at night that they have to prioritise certain calls. You can also wait a long time to talk to someone at night too.

When people want to talk because they can’t sleep it can be really hard to know what else to do.

The counselling and website team are working together to see if they can come up with some ideas here on the site that might help you get to sleep during the night.

I think you guys can probably come up with loads of different ideas and things that you do to take your mind off your worries when you can’t sleep. So I suggested that they ask you!

It would be really great to hear what you do to help you sleep and also what things make it harder for you to get to sleep e.g. drinking sugary drinks before bedtime, watching tele.

Hopefully if we get enough ideas, we can help create some info to put on the childline website.

Also if there is anything that you find helpful here on the site that you use, why not put that in the thread too.

Just let me know if you have any questions or other thoughts.

Thanks for your help everyone

Take care
    Charlie-Host

Hi. I find with sleep that something that works is pretend to fall a sleep and you proberably will. Well, it works with me.

5. Childline Avatar
    han0806 / Oct 19 2012 19.15

I was told by my pyschiatrist that if you dont fall off to sleep after 20-30 mins get up and write down whats on your mind and hopefully you can stop thinking and get off to sleep then, but if not repeat the process again. Taking a bath and reading is relaxing as well. Dont have a caffeine before bed and also dont watch tv or go on the computer in your bed, as your bed is supposed to be used to sleep.

Hannah

6. Childline Avatar
    misguided-ghost / Oct 19 2012 19.58

Hi,

I find that if there's lots on my mind and I can't sleep watching a programme or tv show actually helps as a distraction! As long as you don't watch it in bed. Your bed should be for sleeping and nothing else!

If I'm upset and can't sleep I sometimes curl up in bed with earphones in and some music that helps me calm down and try to sleep that way.

Listening to music works very well for me but my earphones broken so now I can't :(

MG x

7. Childline Avatar
    staystrong_yourbeautiful / Oct 19 2012 20.34

hiya guys ,

well i listen to music and also since i go to CAMHS they have given me a relaxation cd because im often very tense the things that kee me awake are like facebook and genrally being on the  laptop really xxxxx

8. Childline Avatar
    worry222 / Oct 19 2012 22.19

If i cant get to sleep at night i close my eyes also listening to music help if I can't get to sleep

9. Childline Avatar
    Mindless18 / Oct 20 2012 10.39

i write things down in my diary sort of thing, just about my day and i ind it works cos it takes a lot of my mind and it saves the memory. If your like me you might end up writing like 6 pages or  more then you will definetly fall asleep. Music helps me a lot like listening and having a little dance is good and then sleep is no prob. i also think about how amazing my lifes gonna be and all these things i want to do and how im gonnna do it.

10. Childline Avatar
    shiv-15 / Oct 20 2012 16.16

I have suffered from Insomnia in the past and it's so horrible when you can't get to sleep.

- Take a warm bath before you go to sleep - it relaxes your body.

- Drink warm milk or herb tea.

- Have a set sleeping pattern.

- Write away your worries

11. Childline Avatar
    CursedyetBlessed / Oct 20 2012 17.06

One of the reasons why I don't get to sleep at night is because I dread what will happen tomorrow. Like if you have to sit next to the bully or have to face an abusive person. By not sleeping your stalling it. But eventually you want to sleep, so I try to distart myself by going online to read a story that I won't put down until 2 or 4 o'clock. Some people go on childline instead. So what I do is tire myself out before bed: be active, do homework or avoid fizzy drinks. Sometimes I listen to a song repeatdly until I get annoyed and would rather sleep. Then when I have to face it I make myself tell or asked to be moved from the bully

hope it helpsx

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything