Sexual abuse therapist

Show
  1. Wallflower
    Jennyfer / Jul 04 2016 21.56

I've been to my schools counsellor three times now. The last session we had was my first proper session I've had with her. I'd told her that I didn't like my brother, and that I get triggered by him (he sexually abused me). She kinda worked out that it was sexual abuse and she asked me so I told her it was. She said that because of what I've been through, she doesn't want r properly start counselling with me as we'd only have another three or four sessions before summer so she was going to see if she could get me a counsellor over the summer. She said that she knew of a therapist/counsellor that deals with sexual abuse victims and she said that she thinks I would benefit from going. Has anyone ever been to one? My counsellor told me that they would most likely have experienced abuse too so they would understand me more....but I can't help but think that I might trigger them if I go? Like what if I say something and they get triggered by it and can't help me...

2. Childline Avatar
    Bigpig12 / Jul 04 2016 21.56
    jennyfer / 30 may 2016 at 17:39

I've been to my schools counsellor three times now. The last session we had was my first proper session I've had with her. I'd told her that I didn't like my brother, and that I get triggered by him (he sexually abused me). She kinda worked out that it was sexual abuse and she asked me so I told her it was. She said that because of what I've been through, she doesn't want r properly start counselling with me as we'd only have another three or four sessions before summer so she was going to see if she could get me a counsellor over the summer. She said that she knew of a therapist/counsellor that deals with sexual abuse victims and she said that she thinks I would benefit from going. Has anyone ever been to one? My counsellor told me that they would most likely have experienced abuse too so they would understand me more....but I can't help but think that I might trigger them if I go? Like what if I say something and they get triggered by it and can't help me...

Dont worry i havent expirienced this stuff but im here if you need a chat. Maybe the counciler will help not to sure.

3. Contemplator
    Ceci15 / Aug 25 2016 0.53

Hi,

I go to a councillor about sexual abuse and have been for over a year now. My mum is also a psychotherapist who sees people who have experienced sexual abuse although she wasnt abused herself. People have many different reasons for becoming therapists and someone who sees people who have been abused have not nessecerally experienced the same thing. A therapist is also taught how to deal with disclosure and will have heard it all before so it is very unlikely you will be able to shock them or trigger them. They are trained to put a distance between themselves and their clients which means that you should not know anything really about their past. Its about you, not them.

Its important you see a therapist that works for you and this would be the barrier to whether they helped or not, how much you trust them (and how often you see them etc). I found that seeing a therapist really helped me and (although i suspect she possibly was abused) she has never reacted badly to disclosures (to be fair I didnt actually watch her reaction, its amazing how interesting your sleeves can be!).

So yeah, they wont be triggered and not be able to help you and ive found therapy really helpful. Its not easier and it got harder before it got easier, but in my opinion, it was worth it.

Show

saying
exactly
how i feel

Talk to us about anything