Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Do i have ed and depression?

I am not sure if have an eatingdisorder and dwpreession because i have taken tests on the internet and they've said i have and i'm showing all the signs but i dont wnt to go to my gp for diagnosis because im really scared what my mum will say.
I self harm but whenever i go putside i feel nervous and whenever i walk past someone or someone looks at me i think they're judging me or thinking i'm fat or a freak. I dont like leaving the house by myself if i can help it and most days i spend in my room crying.
Whever i eat i am constantly worried about the calories and how to burn them off. sometimes i feel like i eat numbers not food. I always have a vocie in the back of my head that says dont eat that and your fat. if i have an option on food i choose the one with the lowest calories.
Please help me! thanls,
confused :(
Ask Sam


Hi there,
Thanks for your message.
It sounds like you want the answer to whether you have an eating disorder and depression and have been looking online for the answer, but I want you to know that online test will not be able to diagnose you. Only someone who is medically trained would be able to tell you, in person, whether you have an eating disorder and depression.

From what you say you have a lot going on for you and you seems like you are now at the point where you could use some support. I understand that it can be difficult to tell someone about what is going on and what people who are close to you might say. But you deserve all the help and support you need for what is going on for you.

I know that you say that you don’t want to see your GP because of what mum will say, but I want to let you know that you can see the GP and find out about there confidentiality and then you can decide how much you would like to tell them. It is not unusual for people to think about what they eat and to want to avoid taking on too many calories. It is hard for us to know what is the right amount ourselves and it can be too easy to do what we think is right without actually being sure. It is best to seek the advice of a medical professional in these cases as they will know more about this and will be able to look out for things we might miss or not know about, like how our diet can affect our health.

You do not say what your relationship is like with your mum, but parents are meant to be there for their children to help support them not only through the good times but also when you are finding things difficult. However, if you feel that mum is someone that you don’t feel able to talk to maybe you could think about other adults around that could help support you such as other family members or an adult at school. It mightbe you'd find it helpful to look at the ChildLine message boards as there are messages posted by other young people who might be going through similar to you, and if you want to, you can post there too.

I just want to let you know that if you wanted to talk things through a bit more then you can always speak to a counsellor at ChildLine either on a 1-2-1 chat or for free on 0800 1111 they are there for you and would like to help support you.

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter