Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Children under harm

I'm wondering if you could give me some advise, I have a 'friend' who i would say is neglecting her 3 children's there are drugs being used in the house constantly such as cannabis and cocaine and probably others aswell. The children's mum has this new boyfriend who is completely bad news bringing groups off men into the house and they just sit around smoking weed all day or drinking and takig cocaine which then leads too fights, the children are under weight and actually have a smell coming from them, the house isn't for for 3 going children too be living in, there is also a lot more too this story I'm just wondering what I can do, I want too report it but can I do this 100 percent anon?
Ask Sam


Hi there,

Thank you for writing to me. It sounds like you are really worried about your friend’s children and I think you’re doing the right thing asking for support and wanting to report your worries.

You’ve mentioned that your friend’s children seem underweight and smell. These are both signs of neglect and it's not the children’s fault. Every child and young person has the right to be well looked after, loved and cared for. Neglect can feel really frightening and lonely for anyone experiencing it. You might find it useful to read more about signs of neglect and what you can do if you or someone you know is experiencing it.

I’m concerned to hear that your friend’s children are living in a house where adults are using drugs and getting into fights. You’re right when you say it is not a good place for children to be living. No child or young person should have to live in such a dangerous environment. You might like to think about giving these children the ChildLine number and website so they could talk to a counsellor here about what's going on.

It sounds like you want to report what is happening while remaining anonymous. You can do this by talking to a counsellor here on a 1-2-1 chat, by email or by phoning 0800 1111. Or you could contact the NSPCC child protection helpline on 0808 800 5000 or visit the NSPCC website.

Being worried about another person can be really stressful and it is always important to make sure you get some support for yourself. This could be from a good friend, parent or trusted adult - anyone who you feel comfortable and confident talking to. You can also talk to one of the counsellors here who can offer some really great advice and support.

Take care,

Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter