Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Moving away

Due to some family issues which i dont wish to disclose publicy, i have run away from home wnd havent been back for atleast 6 days, 3 of these days i have been reported missing to the police, im 17 years of age and im safe where i am, what can i do? What will the police do once they find me? What will they do if i ring up on 101 and say who i am? What will i do in general?
Ask Sam


Hi there,

Thanks for your letter explaining that you have run away and have been reported to the police.

I am very concerned to hear that you have run away and been away from home for some time now. If you are still in the same position when you read this reply, I would encourage you to contact someone that you trust, like a family member or friend who can let your immediate family know that you are safe. 

It would also be good if you could contact ChildLine to speak to a counsellor. They can talk things through with you and try to help you with your situation. You can speak to them free on 0800 1111, from any mobile, landline phone or a phone box. You can also contact a counsellor by logging on for a 1-2-1 chat or by emailing them.

You ask what the police will do once they find you. I am not able to give you specific information on this, but it’s likely they would want to talk to you about your situation and check that you are safe and well. They would then let your parents know that you have made contact and are safe. I can't say if the police would take you back home, because that would depend on police policy and procedure.

If you phone 101 the police would want to find you, so that they can check out your safety and let your family know you are okay. You do not tell me why you have runaway but I am sure that there are people who will be worried about you. You don’t tell me anything about where you are staying at the moment so I cannot be sure if this is a good place for you or not. I am concerned that you are being looked after and have enough food and clean clothes.

There is an organisation that helps people who have runaway. The organisation is called Missing People. You can contact them whenever and however you want to - it's free, confidential and available 24/7. You can call or text them on 116 000 or email them at [email protected]

Take care for now,

Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter