Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Advice please!!

I am having problems with my mum physically abusing me, she has even made me homeless before. I have social services involment, along with the police child protection unit but on Friday 13th July i decided i could not tack it any more and i runaway.

My local police found me and took me back to the police station where, they found my records i told them that i left because of my mum abusing me i could not take it any more. They phoned social services but they could not find me a place, they foned the council and they said they would not put me up (before social services told me that if i reported my self to the council again as homeless that all they would do is send me home), that left me in a situation that i had to go back home.

I just feel that social services don't care as they brought me back into the abusive situation, the council don't care as basically on Friday they told me that they would not house me even thought i am venerable and i am fleeing violence. the police well all i can say is that i have been told that i am just wating on them to contact me back abut the abuse it been over 2 weeks and the abusive is getting worse.

I am in a situation is do i saty where i am or do i runaway and sleep on the streets.

Thank you

Ask Sam


Hi there,

It’s good to hear from you and I am glad you’ve got in touch with me.

Sounds like things have been really hard for you recently and that Friday was a really difficult day for you. I can see how frightening home is and how frustrating things with the police and social services have been. It sounds like although you feel they don’t care, you recognise that police and social services are the people who are there to protect you.

It’s important that social services try hard not to make mistakes, and this can sometimes take time and planning. Sometimes when they have to do things quickly it can be hard for social services and local councils to support people in the way they want to.

I want you to know that you can always get in touch with a ChildLine counsellor. With a counsellor you could talk over how things are and how you’d like things to be. A counsellor will want to help make you safe and if you wanted you could talk to them about what you want social services to know and they might be able help you get that information over to them.

It really concerns me that you’re thinking about sleeping on the streets and I am worried that this will put you in even more danger than being at home. There is information in Explore about Homelessness & running away that you might find helpful. If you did think you were going to do something like run away please get in touch with ChildLine.

If you want to get in touch with a ChildLine counsellor you can do this on a 1-2-1 chat, by sending an email or you can also phone on 0800 1111 (free and won't show up on any bills).

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter