Ask Sam letter


To Sam

what are your parents allowed to do to you?

hi, i know this might be something you can discuss but ill tell you the situation which has occurred on several occasions, is my dad allowed to do this? He knew i was on my phone when i wasn't supposed to so all of a sudden charge into my room and flung himself at me and pinned me down to take my phone however i being 16 tried to out power him however after this he flung me over his shoulder and threw me on the ground after i had abruptly hit the cupboard i lay there crouched and he yelled and swore at me wears your phone get up i didn't respond so he kicked me still shouting then i said i do not no so he smacked my behind and then he got m phone which was on other side of bed. This isn't the first time that he has been violent like this and often i come away with bruises or cuts. i want to know if hes allowed to do this or weather i am just over thinking.

Ask Sam


Hi there,

What dad is doing is physical abuse and no one is allowed to behave in this way towards you. His behaviour is not okay and I want you to know that it is not your fault. Physical abuse is wrong and against the law.

Home is somewhere we all deserve to feel safe, and not a place where we are attacked and left injured. Arguments and fall-outs will happen from time to time, but they should never get violent. Nobody has the right to hurt you, no matter what.

You don’t say who else lives at home with you, or if anyone else is aware of your dad’s behaviour. If there is another responsible adult you can talk to, it’s okay to tell them what is happening. This could be a teacher, student support or someone else in the family.

Just to make you aware, if you tell a teacher they may have to talk to social services on your behalf. It's their job to make sure you're safe, and they will work with your family to try and improve things for all of you. It's not about getting your dad into trouble, it's about getting help and support for you. If you would like to talk through your options, you can contact a Childline counsellor directly and they can usually keep what you say between you and Childline.

Remember if you ever need medical attention for your injuries you can contact the NHS Helpline on 111. It's a free call and they can advise you on how to get help. If you feel you need emergency help, or if you ever feel unsafe or in danger at home, you can call 999 for help.

Seeing other young people talk about their experiences might help you have the confidence to talk to someone. Sharing experiences can help you to find a way of coping and seeking support.

I hope this has helped.

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter