Ask Sam letter


To Sam


I want to tell my mum that i probably need to start shaving soon, but i am not sure how to phrase it, or get the message through.
Please Help

Ask Sam


Hi there,

All young people go through lots of changes during puberty, some of them are emotional changes and others are physical. It can feel really difficult and embarrassing to talk to an adult in your life about these changes.

When young people feel that they need to start shaving, wearing a bra or are experiencing other changes, it can be a good idea to find an adult you can trust to talk to about it. They will be able to help you with getting any supplies you will need and may be able to support you in coping with the changes. If talking to someone feels hard for you, you could think about writing a note to explain what’s going on and what help you will need.

School nurses can be really helpful and supportive if you need someone to talk to about the changes that are happening for you during puberty. You can find some information and advice that might be useful on the ChildLine puberty pages. You might also find it helpful to have a look at the asking an adult for help page.

I hope you have found this reply useful. Remember that you that you can always talk to a ChildLine counsellor, about this or anything else that’s on your mind.

Take care,

Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter