Ask Sam letter


To Sam

my parents do drugs

i kneed some help on a sitiuation witch kills me to talk about , what it is i am talking to a social worker at shool about whats going on a home and they have recently fount out my parents am smooking weed , i am worried what is going to happen know , as the social worker nows that they get agresive but the trufe is they am aggresive when they don't have weed i am just worried whats going to happen can you give me anyh ideas on whatts going to happen please so i know what to exspect.
Ask Sam


Hi there,

Thanks for your letter, you’ve done so well talking about this situation especially when it so upsetting for you.

I can hear how worried you are about what social services might do now that they know about the drugs. It can be really hard when you are not sure what’s going to happen next. I think you were really brave to be open about things at home. You deserve to feel safe and happy at home so you did the right thing to tell someone about your parents getting aggressive.

It is difficult for me to say exactly what will happen because social services make their decision based on lots of different things. What I do know is that social services aim to keep families together and are there to keep you safe.  Sometimes social services may get counselling for family members, sometimes they might help people to get on courses to help with their problems.  Putting a young person in care is the last option and this only happens if you are very unsafe at home and if nothing can be worked out to make things change.

I wonder what it was like for you talking to the social worker and if you felt okay contacting them to talk again. You have the right to know what might happen to you. You could call the social worker to say you are worried and ask them to give you some more information. You said that you met the social worker at school, so if you can’t phone them, maybe one of your teachers could help you get in touch with them?

You could also tell the social worker that your parents are aggressive even when they don’t have weed. The more the social worker knows, the better it will be for them to get the right help for you and your parents.

It sounds like you are going through a lot with this and you’ve been so brave talking to the social worker. If you do ever feel you want talk more about this in confidence, ChildLine is here for you.  You can call a counsellor free on 0800 1111, log in for a 1-2-1 chat or send them an email. There is also advice in Explore about family relationships and some of the things you’ve mentioned. 

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter