Ask Sam letter


To Sam

I don't know if I can do this any more...


Im 15 years old and live with my mum, ever since my dad left my mum started to drink more than usual and get more aggressive. I'm scared to come home from school because she will hurts me all the time...

Please, I don't know what to do. Help?

Ask Sam


Hello there,

Thank you for sending your letter to me. I can hear how difficult things are with mum at the moment. 

I want to let you know that mum shouldn't be aggressive towards you as you have the right to feel safe at home. It’s not okay that she hurts you and I'm wondering if you have ever needed medical attention after she hurt you. It’s very important that you hear that it’s not your fault and that your mum has no right to treat you this way.

You mentioned feeling scared about coming home and if you ever feel in danger at any point then you can always contact the police by dialing 999. I realise that can be hard to do but the police can help you and they can also get your mum help. Perhaps this is something you can think about.

You could also contact your local social services. They are there to help children and young people who are in danger or feeling unhappy at home and need some help. You can find their number by checking out a search engine online or calling directory enquiries and telling them the name of your city and that you want the Social Services Department. They are there to help but it’s okay to need time to think about what you might want to do.

You might find the NACOA website useful as this contains information for young people who are living with parents that drink a lot. Maybe you can come and talk to one of the counsellors at ChildLine so that we can provide you with some more support and advice about some of the things I’ve talked to you about here. You can do this by giving us a ring on 0800 1111, requesting a 1-2-1 chat through the website or sending an e-mail.

Remember there are a lot of people out there who can help.

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter