Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Heartbrake for my Dad

Dear Sam

My Dad has recently been left by his girlfriend has had become quite emotional about it every time it's mentioned he cries, I don't know what to do or how to help him. Should I just leave him alone or support him through it?

Ask Sam


Hi there,

It can be really difficult for anyone to deal with a relationship break up, especially if you are the one who has been broken up with. It sounds like the relationship ending has been very upsetting for your dad and it may take him some time to get over it.

I know you want to help your dad. Perhaps you could let him know this and talk to him about what would help him most. Some people find it helpful to have someone to talk to for support whilst others prefer some time alone. You could let your dad know that you are there for him and let him decide what would be best for him. That way he knows he has support from you if he needs it.

While he is really emotional about it at the moment, it’s important to remember that feelings can change over time. You may find that as time passes it will be easier for your dad to cope with.

It can also be difficult for you when your dad is not himself. You could think about getting support for yourself from a friend or family member. And remember, Childline counsellors are always here if you need to talk.

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter