Ask Sam letter


To Sam


Hi my parents won't let me post my face on social media my cause we a e afghans from Afghanistan hats racist they only let boys post their face on social media not girls and that's or fair is only a face like everyone in the world is allowed to post it he R face please help me Sam what shall I do?

Ask Sam


Hi there,

Family problems can be really common. But it’s still difficult when we feel we’re being treated unfairly or differently from others.

You said that Afghanistan boys are allowed to post a picture of their face on things like Facebook, but that girls are not. It’s important to mention that this is your experience and while you feel it is unfair it may not be the case for others like you.

One of the hardest parts of getting older and questioning things is that sometimes you disagree with your parents about what’s right for you. As you start to want more independence it can even lead to there being tension or arguments between you and your parents. It sounds like this has started to happen between you and your parents with them not letting you post a picture of your face on social media.

Every parent can choose to raise their children as they feel is best. This can mean that different children and young people are brought up with all different kinds of beliefs. When you are very young what you see at home is often what’s normal for you. But as you get older, it’s really natural to start questioning what you feel is best yourself, what you believe and what you want to do yourself. Remember that as you get older you have the right to make these kinds of choices for yourself.

I understand it can be really difficult when you have different opinions to your family. Sometimes sharing your views with them can be hard. But you’ve done really well expressing your feelings with me in your letter.

You could try talking with your parents or a trusted adult. That could be someone else in your family or a trusted adult at school who you feel able to talk to. It’s often easier for someone outside the family or situation to see your point of view and be able to support you in talking this through with your parents.

Remember you can always speak to a Childline counsellor by calling 0800 1111 or starting a 1-2-1 chat.

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter