Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Sex and pregnancy

So i am 16 i just became sexually active and it is quite frequent. I am terrified of getting pregnant even though we use condoms. I want to get on birth control but i am horrible with remembering to take my medicine so the pill wont be the best method for me. I want to get the implant but ive been told i need to talk to my doctor about it. My mom does not know that i am sexually active and i want to keep it that way. How can i go about getting the implant without her finding out? Can i even get it without parental consent?

Ask Sam


Hi there,

When you start having sex it’s important to think about how you'll protect yourself from sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and how to avoid becoming pregnant before you're ready.

There are many types of contraception which you can choose from and they're free. You can also get them without your parents knowing. It's important to know that they each have different benefits and side effects. Condoms are the only contraceptive that can stop you getting an STI. This gets even more important if you are having sex with different people rather than one partner. You can get condoms for free at a sexual health clinic, from your doctor and some youth groups. You can also buy them from a pharmacy or supermarket. You can get condoms even when you’re under 16. Find your local sexual health clinic.

Having extra protection against pregnancy can be a good idea, in case there is a time when the condom breaks, is forgotten or isn’t used properly.  These types of contraception are for women and are also free, no matter what age you are.

The implant is an effective form of contraceptive against pregnancy because you can’t forget to take it, like a pill. It’s not for everyone though and can have some side effects that make it impossible for you to get it. For this reason you need to see a doctor before you can have it – but this doesn’t mean your parents have to be involved. If you are under 16 then your doctor can still talk to you about this confidentially.

If you don’t want to talk to your doctor then you can use a sexual health clinic. Some are just for young people and the doctors and nurses will be used to people your age and younger coming for advice. You can find places that offer this service near to where you live on the find a service tool on the Brook site.

Health professionals must work to strict guidelines and they won’t tell anyone else about your visit unless they believe you are at serious risk of harm. You can go to a clinic or your GP surgery on your own or with a friend if you feel more comfortable having someone you trust with you.

Our Childline counsellors are always here if you need more support.

Take care for now.


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter