Ask Sam letter


To Sam


My boyfriend made me a prostitute...its bad. THE END
Ask Sam


Hello there,

It’s very brave of you to tell me about what’s happening in your life. Forcing someone into prostitution is extremely serious. It’s called sexual exploitation and it is illegal. Nobody should ever be forced to have sex against their will. You have the right to be safe and not be harmed by anyone, and what your boyfriend is doing shouldn’t be happening. 

It sounds like you feel there is no way out of your situation. I want you to know that there are people out there who will be able to help you. You haven’t told me anything about where you live, but a lot of areas have specialist services for young people who have been forced into prostitution. They will understand how easy it can be to end up being manipulated by a boyfriend you thought you could trust. The Runaway Helpline (116 000) may be able to tell you about any services in your area.

The police and social services would also be able to help keep you safe if they knew what was happening to you. If you wanted to report what is happening to the police you can do this by calling them at any time on 101 (if you are feeling safe at the time), or by calling 999 if you feel unsafe or it’s an emergency.

The counsellors at ChildLine would be more than happy to support you and listen to you if you wanted to talk this through in confidence. (See the page on Confidentiality for more information on the times when they might have to tell someone about your situation). If you want to talk more about what is happening then you can get in touch with them by calling on 0800 1111 logging in for a 1-2-1 chat, or sending an email (from your locker). That way the counsellors can reply to you directly and in more detail to be able to support you in what is happening. 

Equally, it might be an idea to think about whether you have a trusted adult in your life that you feel you could talk with, such as a teacher or a youth worker, who would be able to be there with you and help you. 

Whatever the case, you should know that what is happening is wrong, but it’s not your fault. You deserve to be supported to make it stop.

All the best,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter