Ask Sam letter


To Sam


I'm almost 15 years old, I don't have a boyfriend but I have had a few. I started having sex when I just turned 14, I miscarried a few months ago too. I know this doesn't have a very good impression of me, but I'm not proud of it and I do regret it.

Anyway, I don't want to get pregnant and I keep panicking that I'm pregnant when I don't come on my period. I do use contraception, but I would like extra protection and I have been thinking about getting an implant.

Clearly, my mom doesn't know I have ever had sex before therefore there is no way I can talk to her about this, we don't get on very well anyway.

As I am a minor, I was just wondering whether I could go to the doctors and get an implant without parental permission or would I have to have that?

Ask Sam


Hi there,
Thanks for getting in touch and telling me about what is going on for you.
It sounds like you have thought a lot about the contraception that you feel will suit you and it is really good that you are thinking about this. I just want to let you know that the implant is there to prevent pregnancies but won’t protect you from sexual transmitted infections (STI’s) so even if you do have the implant- think about using a condom as well to protect yourself.

It doesn’t say in your message if you had any support for what happened with the miscarriage, as you say that it is something that you regret you. It sounds like you worried about what I think of you. You have been through a lot and even though some of the experiences haven’t been pleasant it seems that you have learnt some things that you could use in the future. You might find it useful to have a look at  as they will be able to provide you with confidential contraception advice and support.

If you're under 16 the doctor can prescribe you contraception if they think you are mature enough to understand the advice they are giving. If they don't think you understand they might talk to you about involving a parent in your decision. Whatever happens they won't tell your parents about the consultation unless they think your health or wellbeing are at serious risk. Most doctors are used to seeing under 16s and talking about contraception. Also there's probably a local contraception service that is just for young people, Brook will be able to help you find this. Why not make an appointment with the doctor and find out what their confidentiality is and then you can make the decision if you then want to continue to talk about the implant?

For more about staying safe in relationships have a in Explore.

If you need to talk things through a bit more, you can always get in touch with ChildLine counsellor. You can contact using either on a 1-2-1 chat, for free on 0800 1111 or you can send an email.

Take care

Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small.

Write me a letter