Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Police questioning troubles

Hello Sam, I’ve found myself in a predicament that I’m not sure how to deal with. The police have recently gotten involved in a sexual assault that I did not want prosecuted, which is why I didn’t say anything for 2 years. However even after questioning me and saying they would leave me alone, they are coming again on Monday. What are my rights here? Do I have the right to refuse the questioning and tell them to not investigate? I’m afraid my mental health is already worsening, and I cannot handle the anxiety this gives me. Don’t get me wrong, I know what happened wasn’t right, but I want to do whats best for me, and believe me, seeing the police is really not good for me. Thank you in advanced for your help, I’m really struggling.

Ask Sam


Hi there

When you’re the victim of a crime, people can react in different ways,

Sexual assault is a serious crime and the police have a duty to investigate if someone reports it. The police need to take all reasonable steps to get as much information as they can, and this will usually involve speaking to victims and anyone who saw what happened.

When you talk to the police you can usually have someone with you, like a parent or family friend, if you’re under the age of 18. You can also ask for someone to help you understand the questions. It can be stressful, so take breaks when you need to and try to stay calm.

If you feel the police investigation is affecting your mental health you should see your doctor - and you can also tell the police how it’s making you feel. During the interview you should be told about any special help available to support you, and how they’ll let you know what’s happening along the way.

As the victim of the crime, you don’t have to make any statement if you don’t want to. Sometimes this may mean the police won’t have enough evidence to carry on investigating. If there’s other evidence and they believe it’s in the best interests of the public, they might continue, even if you don’t give a statement. You have a right to say what you want, but you won’t be the person who makes the final decision

If someone has committed a crime against you, you have the right to access victim support services at any time. This is true no matter whether the crime has been reported or not, and regardless of if you’re talking to the police. The police have a duty to think about your needs and make sure what they’re doing isn’t causing you harm.

If you’re under 18 you automatically get something called special measures. These are things to help you give the best evidence. This might include screens in court, live video link or pre-recorded video evidence so you don’t have to look at the person who hurt you.

It can be a stressful time and your wellbeing is important. You might need extra support and you’re entitled to speak to someone like a trained counsellor at any time. The victims’ code: under 18s will help you understand what support you can get during an investigation or court case.

I hope this information has helped. Remember that you can talk to a Childline counsellor about how you’re feeling.

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter