Ask Sam letter


To Sam

My parents are bullying me

My life is a mess, at school i get picked on because i am black and at home my mum always yells at me for very little things like if my shirt is on the ground and she will constanlty yell at me if i get below 80% n anyhting. My dad physicals bullyies me, when i am oing my homework he will get me and drag me across the floor and punch we then lock me in a room. I dont know what to do so please help me.
Ask Sam


Hello there,

Thank you for contacting me to talk about all the stuff you are going through at the moment.

What is happening to you at school and at home is not ok and you should not have to put up with it. What these people are doing to you at school is bullying. Many schools have an anti-bullying policy and it should be displayed either in the school or on the internet. Maybe you could take a look to see what it says about they will do if you reported it to them. It is important for you to know that there is help available and you do not have to go through anything alone.

It sounds like you are being abused both emotionally and physically at home. Your parents are supposed to care for you and protect you - not treat you this way. You do not talk about any other family members and I am just wondering if there is maybe another family member you could talk to about it like a grandparent or an aunt, or a friend's mum. As well as talking to a relative or friend's mum you could also think about telling a teacher at school about what's happening. I can’t say for definite what they would do because it depends on what they are told but normally they would talk to you and then look at ways of helping at school and maybe at home too if you felt that was something you wanted to talk to them about. Their main concern will be to make sure you are safe. This can seem like a big step, but many young people tell me that starting to talk and telling someone what's happening is the beginning of things changing for them.

There is lots of tips on dealing with bullying and abuse on our website in the Explore section. Maybe you could take a look there and then if you feel like you want to think about it a bit more you could talk to one of the counsellors at ChildLine. They can listen to you and help you find ways to get help and support you to plan what you will do next. You can send ChildLine an email or use the 1-2-1 chat service or even talk to them on the phone using the freephone number 0800 1111.

Take care


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter