Ask Sam letter


To Sam

My Brothers bullys

my brother is being bullied,not like hit but being called Fat,Ugly and stuff like that what can i do ? i keep telling people but it doesn't cange a thing.
Ask Sam


Hi there,

Thanks for telling me about your brother and the difficult time he is having. It’s never okay for anyone to call him names and upset him in this way. Well done for trying really hard to find a way to help him.

It is tough to see someone you care about being bullied and it’s annoying when you are doing your best to let people know but nothing seems to happen. Your brother deserves to have some support to get the bullying stopped.

Sometimes it can feel like the only thing to do is keep on telling until someone listens. You didn’t tell me about who you and your brother live with or what life is like at home for you. I’m wondering who you might have told. If you've told a trusted adult in school, they need to help with this problem. School needs to be a place where young people can feel safe and happy to enjoy school life. Perhaps there might be a different adult who you trust to tell. If you can't think of another adult to tell, you need to tell the same person again because nothing has changed.

Another way might be to speak to your school council, if your school has one, or a pastoral support teacher who should know about different types of problems. Right now, it is anti-bullying week and there might be more information at your school about how to help with bullying problems.

Keeping a bullying diary of when he gets bullied, what happens, who bullies him and where it takes place could really help things. That would be a way of giving more details about what’s happening. Maybe you could talk to your brother about this idea.

You might find it useful to look at the bullying page in the Explore section for more information and advice.

You could also look at Bully Busters which has some really good information too.

If you would like to speak to someone about this, you can call a ChildLine counsellor on 0800 1111 for free. Or you could log in for a 1-2-1 chat with a counsellor online. The counsellors at ChildLine are always there to support young people.

Well done for writing to me about this and good luck.

Take Care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter