Ask Sam letter


To Sam

My brother

Hi  I'm 13 and has been sad for awhile because I'm in pain on the inside and out because my 16 year old brother beats me up and I try telling my mum but she brushes me off

please if you can answer what do I do

Ask Sam



What your brother is doing to you is wrong. You’ve done the right thing by trying to get help. What’s happening to you is serious and you deserve things to be better.

You did the right thing trying to tell your mum about what’s going on. She has a responsibility to look after you and to keep you safe from your brother. If a parent isn’t doing enough to protect their child from abuse, it’s important to speak to another adult you trust who can help. This could be a teacher or a friend's parent.

If you think he might beat you up again, or you feel unsafe, you can call 999 for help. The police are there to keep you safe. And if you’re in physical pain, it would be a good idea to talk to a nurse or doctor too. They can give you need medical attention if you need it.

Your school or social services might be able to help make things better at home, by talking to your brother and mum and helping them learn what’s okay or not okay at home. And remember that you can talk to one of our counsellors anytime.

Well done for talking about it, I hope you are able to get some help soon.

Take care,

Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter