Ask Sam letter


To Sam

Making a fake Instagram account

I made a fake Instagram account about a woman I dislike and I said vile things about her which were true but in a harsh way I didn't threaten her or anything but I just exposed her and now she reported it to the police I'm so scared because it was only done to stop her from doin it anymore. But I deleted everything and the instagrema account I only did this once and into for a day but it has gone so out of hand   I'm so scared I'm 14 and I'm so scared. I can't tell anyone but please tell me is it possible for police to find me😭😭😭😭😭 was it a crime what I've done? I'm so scared was it a crime would they track me down 😭😭😭 j need to know because I'm scared please
Ask Sam


Hi there,

It’s good to speak up when you think something isn’t right, or for the things you believe in. But you should be careful to do it in the right way. This is especially true when you’re talking about a specific person because it can easily turn into a personal attack or bullying.

When we’re angry, we can often say things that we might regret later and this can cause problems if it's online. Singling someone out – no matter what they have done – can end up getting personal and can turn into bullying without you meaning it to.

It seems like you regret doing this and wish you hadn’t, especially now that she’s saying she wants the police involved. Sometimes the best thing to do is to admit you made a mistake and apologise. As for what the police will do, that’s a difficult question to answer but at the very least you’ll know you’ve tried to make things right.

I can tell you don’t like this person, which is going to make it harder to apologise. But when we’ve done something wrong (and we all do from time to time), then admitting it is usually the right thing to do.

If you do apologise, it might be a good idea to get an adult involved, so that they can make sure you’re safe. You might want to do it in writing or in person. You can also find out about being assertive so you can say how you feel without being aggressive.

I hope this has helped, but remember you can always talk to a counsellor if you need to. The counsellors are here to support you and won't judge you.

Take care,

Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter