Ask Sam letter


To Sam


To Sam,

i am a 12 year old girl and I'm getting bullied because my legs are really thin and i walk bent, people in my school have been saying pencil legs or stick legs and they have been throwing bottles full of juice or water on my legs while screaming oh no I've broken her legs call the hospital and the most embarissing thing is how i walk. One day I was walking around In school on my own and I was walking weirdly and a gang of girls and boys where trying to copy me. I have broken my arm twice because of boys that have pushed me and I have twisted my leg ankle once.  What shall I do?

Ask Sam


Hi there,

No one has the right to bully you by hurting you or making you feel bad. Bullying can take many forms like teasing, name calling, being pushed, hit or kicked, being threatened, having possessions taken and being ignored. However it happens, bullying is always wrong and you have the right to feel safe.

From what you’ve told me, the bullying you are experiencing sounds extreme and it’s concerning to hear that twice you have broken your arm through boys pushing you and have also twisted your ankle. It’s unclear from what you've told me whether you have told anyone else about the bullying and if so what support they have offered you. 

All schools have an anti-bullying policy which sets out what the school will do to help people who are being bullied. It might be good to try and get a copy of this or look at it on the schools’ website to see what school say they do to stop bullying. You could speak to an adult at school like a teacher you trust and ask them for help. Or you could try talking to a family member and ask them to support you with speaking to school.

It can help sometimes to keep a diary of what’s happening, who’s involved and how you feel. If you do decide to report the bullying, you will then have a record of what has happened and be able to give accurate examples. This can help when you decide you are ready to talk to someone about it. 

Remember that you can always talk to a counsellor. They're here to listen to you and support you. You might also want to take a look at the message boards where you can see how other people are coping in a similar situation.

Take care,


Need help straight away?

You can talk privately to a counsellor online or call 0800 1111 for free.

Ask me a question

You can ask me about anything you want, there's nothing too big or small. I read every single letter but I can only answer a few each week. My replies are published here on my page.

Write me a letter